The market town of Gravesend is located on the North Downs. To the east is the seamarsh areas of the Shorne Marshes and to the west is the Swanscombe Marshes. On the river front there are the archaeological remains of a fort built during the reign of Henry VIII in 1543.
Gravesend has one of the oldest surviving markets in the country, its earliest charter dating from 1268.
Gravesend is also famous for:
The Town Pier built in 1834, making it the world's oldest surviving cast iron pier. The pier has recently been refurbished, and a bar and restaurant added.
Windmill Hill offering far reaching views over the Thames estuary.